Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Arundhati Roy: Sydney Peace Prize

Arundhati Roy will be presenting Sydney Peace Prize lecture tonight at the Seymour Centre.

When I grow up, I want to be just like her! ;)

She’s just so incredibly insightful, intelligent, dynamic, compassionate, articulate, an eloquent communicator, very authentic in what she believes in. When she argues her point of view, it’s in a much understated compellingly peaceful manner. I’ve read some criticism about her, dismissing her as overly-naïve, overly-dogmatic, lack of understanding of human complexities but I don’t see that. I mean when you get to crux of her arguments, they’re really not that simplistic nor black-and-white, in fact, she rails against that sort of vision. Although, I guess I’m biased because the subject matters she identifies with and the way she views them resonate with me; they closely mirror my own perspective on life, on politics, on humanity and the hope she speaks of, I truly believe in. I think she’s beautiful, not beautiful as in fortunate-quirk-of-genes beautiful, but you know how some people, you look at them, you just realise that they’re gracefully beautiful human beings. Ahem, gushing fangirl moment over.

I have read articles she has written on social, political, & environmental issues and I just love her work. And The God of Small Things is a fantastic book, I highly recommend it.

"What shall we choose? Violence or non-violence? We have to choose knowing that when we are violent to our enemies, we do violence to ourselves. When we brutalise others, we brutalise ourselves. And eventually we run the risk of becoming our oppressors."


She is up there with Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi.

In other news: US ELECTION!!! *crossing fingers*. If it's Bush and Cheney again, 2004 will go down as the worst year on record voting-wise. (I mean Ricki-Lee got voted out of Idol last month, like hello!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home