Sunday, November 07, 2004

Eavesdropping on the neighbours

Here I was innocently sitting down in front of my computer writing about the future for Palestinians and the implications of Arafat’s death (when it does happen) and my thoughts are intruded and hindered by my neighbours’ arguments. At first, I am rather annoyed but as I continue to listen, I’m strangely intrigued by the nature of their argument. And my neighbours, they don’t actually care who hears it, they’re lovely people but very loud!

Anyway, so the young ‘un of the family (a girl still in high school) has been unwillingly engaged in a conversation with her mother and older brother. To get to the essence of it, they’re basically telling her that she should not sleep with her boyfriend because he would lose all respect for her. And that it doesn’t matter if she sleeps with one person or the entire populace, she will be labelled a “slut” by the community. The poor girl is trying to argue her perspective but is drowned out by the “wiser,” more opinionated voices. Eventually, she concedes defeat (albeit, she did put up a good fight).

Wow, people still think in that outdated mode? I mean, I have this strong urge to go over there and tell her that a man who judges her in such a manner is really not worth her time. There are far more important aspects to a person, like the content of their character (yes, I’m plagiarising Martin Luther King ;) ). I'm not advocating that she should sleep or not sleep with him. She should make up her own mind about that. What shouldn't happen is this poor girl should grow up thinking that somehow a person's worth is ultimately dependent on something as ridiculous as their sexual history. Pfft…there’s nothing wrong with being “slutty” regardless of gender, if that is your choice. Kind of like that Ben Harper song (that I think is applicable here):

My choice is what I choose to do,

And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.

Oddly, tied into all this was something funny I read on Nancy's Xanga site. See, when you do it in public then it's a bit of a problem. Voyeuristic exhibitionism, not cool at all. It makes for a funny anecdote though. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home