Saturday, November 20, 2004

Why so mean?

I spent the afternoon in bed with a fever watching Mean Girls which was written by Tina Fey (of SNL fame). My verdict: pretty fantastic all round. My only gripe was why Cady had to end up with “man-candy” at all? But I suppose the message of being happy with yourself and it spreading to all those around you, had to be hammered home. Though, I think it was the more subtle vignettes that really helped carried the intensity of the message in a more effective (and entertaining) manner.

It did make me ruminate the social aggression that takes place in human interactions and certainly, not only limited to one gender nor age group. When we are mean to someone else, I think that it says more about how we feel about ourselves than it does about how we feel about the rest of the world. What happens when a person believes that their status is determined solely by their peer relationships? The answer is obvious, isn’t it? Watch the movie, it’s much more hilarious and sassier than any long-winded explanation I could ever give.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home