Sunday, February 27, 2005

How well do we know ourselves?

I blame it on the philosophy texts I am currently reading (a subjective mix of Aristotle, Plato, Descartes, Hobbes, Kant, Nietzsche and Hume*) as I often find myself ruminating the most abstract circular notions these days like the notion of free will, whether altruism is a myth, what makes a lift worthwhile, is love simply a neurochemical process and so on. But my favourite is "how well do we know ourselves?"

Murakami writes a wonderful passage in Sputnik Sweetheart that really emotionally resonated with me:

"I find it hard to talk about myself#. I'm always tripped up by the eternal who am I? paradox. Sure, no one knows as much pure data about me as me. But when I talk about myself, all sorts of other factors - values, standards, my own limitations as an observer - make me, the narrator, select and eliminate things about me, the narratee. I've always been disturbed by the thought that I'm not painting a very objective picture of myself....

....The more I think about it, the more I'd like to take a raincheck on the topic of me. What I'd like to know more about is the objective reality of things outside myself. How important the world outside is to me, how I maintain a sense of equilibrium by coming to terms with it. That's how I'd grasp a clearer sense of who I am."

How well do you know you?

(NB.
* I haven't really read that much at all to be honest! I'm just trying to sound smart, philosophimical and name-drop :p Philosophy is hardcore!! I need time and patience.
#. But I also think talking excessively about oneself can be so boring, unhealthily narcissistic, and the rest. It's one thing to be self-aware and another, to be completely self-absorbed. I should know. :p)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home